Friday, December 28, 2012

It's pronounced Jango, The D is silent!


 
 
     Quentin Tarantino, is viewed by many as the finest director of his generation.  I think his latest installment, Django Unchained,  will go a long way in solidifying his position among the great American film makers. Tarantino, the former video store employee, has never made it a secret that he is is a huge fan of
B movies especially spaghetti westerns and kung fu films.  So much of his body of work pays homage to these two genres, often times mixing these two together with uncanny effect.  For the baby boomer, which I am one, I always find a wry smile creeping across my face or a little chuckle welling up under my breath when I am confronted with one of Tarantino's references to movies from days gone by.  There is nothing like nostalgia to warm the heart of a film goer.  And so, to begin with, does the name Django, ring a bell?  With more than sixty films having a character with the name Django, since the first one in 1966, it rightly should.  Yet the details are elusive.  Such are the elements of a B movie.  A really cool title with a forgettable storyline.  So you tell me what could be cooler that Django?  (the D is silent).  I digress, so for now, let's get on with the review.
     The film pays homage to spaghetti westerns of the sixties and seventies in awesome detail.  Especially the opening credits and theme song, which could easily have been lifted right from the era.  It totally created an unbelievable  sense of excitement for me.  I found I could hardly wait to see what was next for these two protagonists.  Let me tell you, for a jaded old cinemaphile such as myself, that is saying a lot. 
     The pacing of the film I must say is perfect.  The unfolding of the story in such a logical and straight forward fashion not all that common in a Tarantino film.  The title role of Django is played by Jamie Fox, who gives one of his best performances to date with a great balance of drama and humor.  It was such a perfect match for this film.  Even more astonishing was the performance of Christpher Waltz, a one time Dentist, and now, presently, a bounty hunter.  As with any film by Tarantino, the story takes more twists and turns than Lombard street in San Francisco.  Suffice it to say things never become predictable or boring.  Instead I found myself loving just about every minute of this joyride. 
     So to quickly sum up the plot, if that is even possible.  Dr. King, played by Waltz, saves Django by purchasing him from his cruel slavers in order to have Django identify three particular fugitives that King needs to get, dead or alive, for the bounty each has on his head.  I think that dead is the preferable state he wants them in.  It  HAS to be, after all this IS a Tarantino film, is it not?  And Dr. King, is it possible his name is a mere coincidence?  I think not!  When the job is finally done, he pays Django his share of the reward, and offers him this proposition.  That they partner up in the bounty hunting business through the winter.  Come spring he will help Django locate his wife and also buy her freedom.  I mean what self respecting slave, or any man for that matter, would turn down a deal like that?  So what seemingly begins as a western in actuality becomes a buddy picture.  Waltz and Fox have real on screen chemistry, a Bromance if you will.  There is nothing like two men bringing death and mayhem upon some of the most deserving people in movie history to get one's adrenaline pumping.  Yet the gore and violence seem a bit restrained for a Tarantino film.  Just as well, because in the final reel all hell breaks loose  and so does the blood and gore.  But it all is justified and never seems out of place.  Over the top for sure but not even close to the goriest scenes from Scarface. (the Al Pachino version)  This film has it all and then some.  As I write this review I realize that I like this film even more in retrospect than while I was actually viewing it.  I could go on about the plot and different devices but why ruin the ride for you?  I will say that Leonardo Di Caprio is deliciously evil as Calvin J. Candie, owner of the plantation Candyland.  One of his more curious passions is to engage his more athletic slaves in death match fights with other slaves from neighboring plantations.  All on a wager, of course.  The lengths the wealthy of the antebellum south will go to for entertainment.  Kind of like MMA without the killing.  If viewed too literally this film could seem silly.  But then these kinds of films were always for pure entertainment and this is where Django Unchained succeeds.  Can you say the Legend of Billy Jack?  If you have a cool girl friend then this would be a good date movie.  If you want to get rid of your chick flick watching girlfriend then this is a good date movie. 
I give this move a grade of A-,  mark downs for songs on the soundtrack that just don't' belong.  Oh c'mon Quentin,  Jim Croce?











 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment