Sunday, February 24, 2013

Oscar Predictions

Tonight is the 85th annual Academy Awards and winning one of these awards is the highlight of anyone in the "business".  At the risk of coming off as a bonehead I am going to take a shot at making predictions for who I think will win the major awards and who I wish would win.  Hopefully I won't come off appearing too foolish.

Best Picture:  Argo   This film has been cleaning up at all the awards ceremonies leading up to the Oscars.  Why not a clean sweep?
My wish is the Life of Pi.  This film was the most unique film of the year and would be my pick if I was a member of the academy.

Best Actor:  Daniel Day Lewis for Lincoln.  This is a certain lock and I would be shocked if he didn't win.

Best Actress:  Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook.  I also feel that of the nominees Jennifer is a lock in this category.  Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty, has the chance to be a spoiler but Jennifer is the odds on favorite.

Best Supporting Actor:  Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln, by a nose.  The supporting categories are very difficult to predict.  I wish Christoph Waltz, of Django Unchained, would win and very possibly could.  Robert De Niro could also be the spoiler here.
 
Best Supporting Actress:   Anne Hathaway for Les Miserables.  If you read my review you know how much I detested her acting in this role but she seems to be a favorite right now so I am predicting she will win.  I hope Sally Field will win for Lincoln.  trivia:  Sally has been nominated twice in this category and won both times.  Please be a trifecta!

Best Director:  Steven Spielberg for Lincoln, mainly because Ben Afflek wasn't nominated.  I wish Ang Lee would win for Life of Pi.

Best Original Screenplay:  Zero Dark Thirty.  I would vote for Django Unchained and think it has a good chance.  The Academy seems to like Tarantino and may throw him a bone.

Best Adapted Screenplay:  Argo.  In my opinion this should be given to Life of Pi.

Best Cinematography:  Life of Pi seems to be a lock.

Best Song:  By far and away, Skyfall, by the incomparable Adele.

I have never written down my predictions like this before so I think this will be fun to see how I do.  Have fun watching the Oscars tonight movie fans.





No comments:

Post a Comment